Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fire on the Wind - Linda Crew


This is one of our Oregon Battle of the Books titles (the 9th one I've finished out of the 16 titles for this year), and it's written by an author whose work I really enjoy, Linda Crew.

I have to admit, this book started out a little slowly, but as I got to know Storie and her family either the action picked up or I didn't mind the slower pace. I'm not really sure which. This novel is set in an Oregon logging camp in 1933 and it was really interesting to learn some things about logging. The actual fire in the novel is the Tillamook Burn. I've seen evidence of since I was a little girl but I didn't really know too much about it, and it was pretty fascinating to learn how far and fast it traveled and how it affected the people who were logging at that time.

I have to say I'm glad I didn't live back then, and I'm especially glad no one in my family was a logger, because that seemed pretty dangerous.

I really ended up enjoying this book, but if you choose to read it, just know that although it might not be that exciting at the beginning, it's a really interesting story that's worth reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am reading this for battle of the books too! But my mom signed me up. I don't like reading. Can you give me hints ont eh book.