Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, March 16, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer

This book was this month's choice for my grown up book club, and it is one of the best books we've read in all our meetings. I can't wait to get together to talk about it with everyone. I also am really, really hoping they make this book into a movie. The whole book is done in letters back and forth between many different people, and I can totally see all the different ways they could do the letters - some as flashback, some as people reading, some writing. It would be wonderful!

This novel is set in London and on the Isle of Geurnsey (near France) just after World War II has ended. A young author is looking for a subject for her new book, and just at that time a man from Geurnsey writes to her asking for help finding more book by a certain author. Thus begins an extraordinary communication between Julia (the author) and many members of The Geurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Since this blog is really mostly about kid lit, I'm not going to spend a lot of time reviewing this book, but if you're at all interested in (post) WWII fiction, you love strong character development, you like novels written in letter form, or all of the above, you should run, not walk, to put this book on hold at your library. It's awesome and I highly recommend it this brilliant novel. (I also heard the audio is excellent, but I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.)

Enjoy!

No comments: