Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Poetry Friday - Jackie Robinson

Having just celebrated Martin Luther King Day, I thought a poem about another great person from the civil rights struggle would be fitting. And also, I've been thinking about baseball because I'm going to Arizona for spring break with my husband to watch the Cubs in spring training. I am looking forward to some sunshine and wondering if I'll see anyone there who will be another Jackie Robinson.

There are many, many plays on words in this poem, giving it lots of layers of meaning.

Jackie Robinson

ran against walls
without breaking.
in night games
was not foul
but, brave as a hit
over whitestone fence,
entered the conquering dark.

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

Have you read the sports books by his daughter, Sharon Robinson? They are rather interesting.