Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Three adult books

The Postmistress by  Sarah Blake is a World War II story read on the audio by one of my favorite audio recorders, Orlagh Cassidy.  She's so soothing.  I've listened to almost every audiobook by her in the MCL system, and I've just requested three more.  This story is of two women, both Americans, but one isreporting on the radio from Europe and one a postmistress in New England.  Both have information they're duty bound to share, but neither can bring herself to do it. It's a beautifully told story of love and heartbreak brought about by war.

V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton is nearing the end of its life as a series, I fear, as we've gone now from A-V!!  Hard to believe I've read them all.  It seems like it's been a long time since one came out. It's typical Grafton with a detective we all know and are "friends" with, but I thought it was actually better written than some of the last few.  It may have been that I read a bunch at once and got tired of them, then came back to this fresh, or it may have been better.  Not sure.  In any case, although it was not heart stutteringly suspenseful, it was very good and I enjoyed reading a bit of a lighter mystery than some others I read, such as...




Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler Olsen. This is a murder mystery set in Stockholm.  Except for the murder and all, definitely want to go back to Stockholm.  Great story. Could just about piece it together, but was always missing something.  Listened to it on audio.  Still a little unsure of scary stories on audio - there's no skimming ahead if I get too scared! Will definitely check out another by this author.  Still bitter that Stieg Larsson is dead :(

No comments: