Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Flora and the Flamingo, Idle, Molly Schaar

This book is  on a Mock Giesel list, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Notes: On lift-the-flap pages. In this wordless book, a friendship develops between a girl named Flora and a graceful flamingo, as they learn to dance together.
From the Publisher: In this innovative wordless picture book with interactive flaps, Flora and her graceful flamingo friend explore the trials and joys of friendship through an elaborate synchronized dance. With a twist, a turn, and even a flop, these unlikely friends learn at last how to dance together in perfect harmony. Full of humor and heart, this stunning performance (and splashy ending!) will have readers clapping for more!

Strengths: This book is super, super cute. The pictures are darling and the interactions between Flora and the flamingo are delightful, even though they're wordless. Having watched some large birds (egrets and herons, though, not flamingos) dancing in the shallows last year, I thought the dance moves were really quite true to life. Dancers will flock to this book (sorry, couldn't help myself!!).

WeaknessesThe physical book wasn't available in my library, but the e-book was, so I thought I'd read that.  I read lots of books on my Kindle and my iPad, so Im definitely not opposed to e-books, but let me tell you, lift the flap e-books, not nearly as fun as the real thing.  The cover of the book is pink, and even at a young age, some boys balk at pink anything (as do some boys' parents). I think they could have gone with yellow for sand or sun or turquoise for waves or something. I know this is gender stereotyping, but this is what I see in my schools, and I wouldn't want a boy to miss this book just because of its color. Flap books are tough ones for libraries, in any case.  Since I didn't see the actual book, I'm unsure of the durability of these pages, but they'd need to be pretty darn tough to withstand a library.

No comments: