Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman

Two of the sessions I attended at the library conference talked about this book, and since we just got it in the library AND it has a pink and orange cover, my favorite color combo of late (especially since I tried that Dreyer's berry sherbet...YUM!), I had to read it next. I have to tell you I stayed up WAY too late on a school night just to finish it, even though I was pretty sure I knew what was coming. I mean, come on, I haven't watched Pretty Woman, Notting Hill and a hundred other chick flicks without getting some skills. And although I'm one of those people who has a lot of enthusiasm for books, I've never actually started talking or dressing like that characters in my favorite novel. That, however, is exactly what Ashleigh, one of the main characters in Enthusiasm does. Unfortunately for her best friend Julia, the novel she picks is Pride and Prejudice. Now, I'm all for this book. It's the one on my READ poster (which you'll be seeing soon) after all, but come on, dress like Jane Austen's characters? Or talk like them? I think not! This is a fun, romantic comedy of a novel, with a little mystery and a lot of daring. I'd definitely recommend it to those of you who like Sarah Dessen, Ann Brashares, Joan Bauer or chick flicks. And boys, you could probably learn quite a bit about the crazy workings of an adolescent girl's mind by reading this, so it might be a good choice for you, too.

No comments: