Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

The Gospel According to Larry

I've kind of been in the mood for funny books lately, and this one caught my attention. It's actually been out for five years, and I can't remember where I heard about it, but I just saw something lately and so I decided to check it out from good old Multnomah County Library. I LOVE that place. I'm sure they love me and my 25 items currently checked out, too. I just got the new Artemis Fowl on CD. I'm hoping to start listening to it this afternoon.

But I digress. Back to Larry. Like Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie, which once again I cannot recommend heartily enough, this book is a make you laugh out loud kind of read. It also made me cry. Of course, if you know me at all, you know this is not that hard to do, but anyway... I liked this novel, and I really loved Larry's message which he anonymously posted quite regularly on his website, and I was WAY jealous that he got to meet Bono who is one of the really cool, cool people on the planet I think, but in the end I was disappointed by his choice of how to live his life. As I raked leaves yesterday having just finished it, I was wondering, though, if it I was really upset about Larry's choice, or if I was also sad and upset by how adults sometimes don't give kids the support they need to get through life, especially through the rough parts. And how can we do that better in the system we live and work in? It's a difficult question, and one that probably doesn't have the real answers I'm hoping for. This is a good, thought provoking read that I'd recommend for 8th grade and up. Mature 7th graders might enjoy it also.


P.S. Anyone else secretly hoping that the windstorm that's supposed to come tonight knocks out power to WOMS and we get to sleep in tomorrow? Just wondering.

No comments: