Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Chosen One - Carol Lynch Williams

This novel reminded me quite a lot of Sister Wife by Shelley Hrdlitschka which I read not too long ago. This book, however, was much more brutal in its portrayal of the poylgamist sect that Kyra's family belongs to than the group of polygamists in Sister Wife. In Sister Wife I was disturbed and angry about the fact that they have young girls marry much older men and give them really no choice in the matter. But things went much farther in this book. People were beaten and even killed for disobedience in this novel, and it was very disturbing. Even one of those topics, beating people for not agreeing with you OR forcing children to marry grown men would be a lot to take. Both in one story was really difficult to get through. There was quite a lot of suspense, which constantly made me want to listen to the next part (I had this on my iPod), but I couldn't necessarily listen to too much at once.

I longed for more closure to this story than the author gave. Perhaps it's for the best, because now I might have hope, whereas if she told me what really happened, it might not be the outcome I wanted. But nonetheless, I really wanted more closure for several of the things that happened near the end of the story.

Due to the violence in this story, I'd recommend it for 8th graders and above.

No comments: