Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Girls Dinner Club - Jessie Elliott

I just picked this book up off the shelf at the library the other day - not like I don't already have 25 books out, but what's one more, right? It just seemed to be calling to me. I love books that center around food. Julie and Julia, The Last Chinese Chef, Cathy Lamb's books, Like Water for Chocolate, the list goes on. I was intrigued by a book about teenage girls that involved food, because that's not so common. Probably because I doubt that many kids are spending time cooking, although they definitely should. Talk about a life skill. Anyway, I digress.

This book has three girls as the main characters, two of whom have been friends for a long time, and a third girl who's just becoming their friend. This book is high school chick-lit. Friends, family, school and BOYS are the main topics of conversation, but the part I love is the role that food plays. The girls plan and shop for and prepare food for and with one another and I think it's magical. I truly believe in the healing power of food and in the power of food as a gift, so this book really spoke to me.

Character development is really strong in this book as well, and you know I love strong character development.

This book would be a great addition to a high school collection. I think it might take a little salesmanship to get kids reading it, but that's what librarians are for, right?

Available at the Multnomah County Library.

No comments: