Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Home for the Holidays, Heather Vogel Frederick

I have read all of Heather Vogel Fredeick's books in this series, and I have enjoyed all of them. They focus on a group of girls and their mothers who are in a mother-daughter book club. I think this is the fifth in the series, but I might be wrong on that. The girls in these books are really nice girls, but they're not perfect girls, so they're fun to read about because they do seem real. They have real problems that they struggle with and their relationships with their mothers seem pretty realistic, too, although I'm thinking that maybe they don't roll their eyes quite a much ass I used to (sorry again, Mom!). One thing that makes these books a little challenging for me is that the chapters are alternating narrators, with the different girls telling different chapters. because I've read most of these as soon s they came out, and HVG can't seem to write s book a month -rather inconsiderate of her, don't you think? - I sometimes can't quite remember who's who. This is more the fault of the resider than the book, but it's worth mentioning if you are someone who has trouble keeping track of characters. You'll need to slow down and spy attention like I have to. One other thing I really appreciate about these books is that the characters are very different from one another, but they sly get along. Of course, some are better friends than others, but it shoes that you don't have to be best friends with everyone you do things with and also that there's value in multiple opinions and approaches to life. The moms aren't at all the same, either, most of them, but they make it work.

I really enjoy this series, and if you like books with strong female characters, I'd recommend this series to you.

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

I have the same problem keeping the characters straight! The cover of this one is shiny, though, and while this isn't hugely popular, I do have a couple of girls who look for the new ones.