Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Over and Under the Snow, Kate Messner

This is a delightful picture book that I picked up for some reason, but I can't remember what that reason was. I have GOT to start writing that down. I keep saying that, don't I? Anyway, this book was chosen as a top science picture book. It was inspired by a field trip that the teacher-author went on with her class one winter's day and it is such fun to read and look at as well as being informative. The characters in this story are cross country skiing through the woods and exploring. When they see something interesting above the snow, they also think about what it might mean about what is beneath the snow. And, wow, there's a lot going on beneath the snow that I never think about, that's for sure. Not that I get a chance to even be in the snow that much, which probably made it that much more fun for me to read, too.

At the end of the book is a section that is more clearly informational, so it's a nice mix of prose and informational text for those readers who might be more reluctant to read one kind of book or the other.

Recommended.

No comments: