Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Boston Jane: An Adventure - Jennifer Holm


Boston Jane is our GAB (Girls and Books Mother Daughter Book Club) choice for this month, so although I had read it a long, long time ago, I decided to re-read it for our discussion, and I remembered why I loved it so much the first time. The answer, in short: Jane. Mind you, Jane is no perfect girl, and she has some mighty mixed up ideas about boys and what's important, but she is a strong young woman and she's a great learner, which is something I very much value (duh!). As Jehu says, she's a gal "with grit and courage."

One thing I really enjoyed about this book were all the little blurbs that came from the etiquette book (The Young Lady's Confidante)used by Miss Heppelwhite with the girls. Things like,"a well ordered home is a miniature of heaven," and, "do not let little irritations sway your cheery nature." I am in deep trouble according to this book...

I also liked the themes of this book because they're important. The book addresses friendship, prejudice, greed, community - all things we need to pay attention to, either because they're things we all need or because they're things we might want to notice and try not to do.

This is a really fun, touching adventure book which has two more in the series. I definitely recommend the Boston Jane series and I'm glad the GAB group chose it. I'm eager to hear our discussion this afternoon!

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

What a fun choice for a book discussion group. I loved this one.