Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, March 30, 2009

6th Grade Entry - Fire on the Wind

6th graders at WOMS have been invited to post guest entries on my blog for YA books they’ve recently read. This is Kendra’s entry. Thanks, Kendra!

Fire on the Wind
By Linda Crew
Delacorte Press, 198 Pgs.

It is the year of 1933 and the driest season of the year. There are so many trees everywhere that could start on fire any minute. Storie is a young girl who is a logger’s daughter. Storie’s father and the other loggers have discovered a fire in Gales Creek which is pretty close to Blue Star Camp which is where Storie and her family live. The fire is spreading uncontrollably through the forest. There is no moisture in the air from the fire and a lot of the streams and lakes have evaporated from the ground. The loggers try to stop the fire but it is too much to handle.

Storie is a logger’s daughter and is fairly young. She has long brownish-blonde hair that is wavy. The girl is very courageous, not very lady-like, and she thinks she knows everything when she hasn’t ever been to school. Storie is a lot like her father because she wears overalls and she gets dirty all of the time and doesn’t really care about it.

I liked Fire on the Wind because it was adventurous and there was a little bit of a love story too. It also reeled me in and I wanted to keep on reading it. I couldn’t suspect what was coming up next until I read what happened. This was one of my favorite books. I didn’t ever get tired of reading Fire on the Wind because there was always another problem or new happening.

I would recommend Fire on the Wind to people who are interested in historical fiction, people who like a little bit of a love story mixed in, and people who would like to see and feel what it is like to be living deep in the woods and to have a logger as a father.

Submitted by Kendra T.

No comments: