Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I got to meet President and Mrs. Carter!

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to be able to go to Plains, Georgia and meet former US President and Nobel Prize winner Jimmy Carter. It was an amazing weekend. I was so thrilled to get to meet him. To prepare for our visit, I read three books - two by him and one about the Carters in the White House. They actually SIGNED that book for our library. It was super exciting! Here are some short reviews of those books.



The Carters - Cass Sandak. I thought this book was quite interesting. It was short but had a lot of background on Mr. Carter and his family before the presidency and then during and a little bit after. Since I was fairly young when he was President, I learned a lot in an easy to read format.


Christmas in Plains
- Jimmy Carter. This was a great little book that focused on Christmas traditions of the Carter family. What I really liked about this book was that there was so much information about growing up on his family farm in the story and other places around Plains, that when I got there I sort of felt like I knew what I was looking at. It was really cool.

Our Endangered Values - Jimmy Carter. this is a recent book written by Jimmy Carter which talks about his politics and also his personal beliefs and his religion. It was definitely a book for grown-ups. I thought it was fascinating, and I especially liked how he talked about living a life that supported his personal beliefs but still worked within the confines of a separation of church and state. He is a man of great integrity and moral values. I admire him incredibly and still can hardly believe I got to hear him speak and meet him personally. Amazing!

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

OMG! OMG!!! How exciting for you. Of all of the past presidents, he has really made a name for himself with his humanitarian works out of office. What an exciting opportunity for you!

Mr. F-B said...

"Come back and visit us again!" - Rosalynn Carter, to Mr. F-B, just as that photo was taken.