Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, October 25, 2010

Pies and Prejudice - Heather Vogel Frederick

Wow! Twice in a month I've LOVED the fourth book in a series, and that just rarely happens to me. Perhaps it's a good sign for sequelage (not a word, but you know what I mean). This is the 4th in the Mother Daughter Book Club series, and the girls are getting older, so perhaps that's one of the reasons I liked it so much. Plus, it's all about Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice which is just about the world's most perfect book, and I've only read it about a million times, so that made it fantastical as well. the one thing I have a hard time with in this book, as I do with other books in a series, is that it's kind of hard to remember who's who. In this book it's especially important, too, because the chapters alternate between the girls in the club as narrators, and so if you've forgotten who's who, the whole chapter's a little hard to keep up with. But it comes back pretty quickly, and the author does a good job of adding little "memory joggers" for those of us, like me, who might be a little slow...This book is definitely more for girls than boys, but I'd highly recommend the whole series to girls from 5th to 10th grades. And heck, I like them, so maybe girls of any age :)

I'm not sure if this is the last in the series, but I seriously hope not!

2 comments:

LaurieA-B said...

Did you know Heather is a local (Portland-area) author? I had the pleasure of meeting her in Portland. According to her FAQ, there will be "a fifth and final one, which doesn’t have a title yet but which will be published in September 2011." Rumor is that she was recently in Mankato and Minneapolis researching the fifth book...

Ms. Yingling said...

Just when I was thinking about not buying this, because they are such a hard sell in my library... but the covers are so PRETTY!