Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, September 05, 2011

End of summer already!

Can't believe it's the end of summer already. This is my final end of summer entry, and the rest of what I read was mostly grown up books, so it will be a little bit short. First, thought, I will tell you about 6 books I read by P.B. Ryan called The Nell Sweeny Mysteries. They're shortish books, all set in the late 1800s in Boston. I thought they were excellent mysteries and 8th graders and older who enjoy historical fiction mysteries would enjoy these. Obviously I liked them because I rad all six and I actually had to BUY them! I hardly ever do that. that Kindle can be a little dangerous!

Now for the grown up books. I read the very popular but I'm not sure why A Reliable Wife. I couldn't find anything to really like about theses characters, so I really didn't like it. I tried hard, I really did.

Baking Cakes in Kigali, set in Africa, was funny, culturally intersting and all-around fab and I hope there will be more by this author. Thanks again to the Mother-Daughter Book Club for this gift.

Also read two others they gifted me - The Land of Painted Caves - over 600 pages! - by Jean Auel which was pretty good but I think my reading tastes have changed some since I read the first ones in the series, and The Snowman by Jo Nesbo. This was a fantastic and scary serial killer book Not for kids but great for fans of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Finally, I read about four Pride and Prejudice alikes. I love P&P above all other books, and I love these read-alikes that are usually continuations of the story of Jane et. al., but sometimes they're just the same story told from a different perspective or something. They're almost always great fun and these were no exception.

I hope you had a fantastic summer and found some gems in your reading as well. Looking forward to seeing my WOMS kiddos every once in a while as I start my new job this year. I'll miss seeing you every day, that's for sure!

No comments: