Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Poetry Friday - "Eel Grass"

Another Emily Dickinson poem this week. LOVE her! Just had someone point out that I had the wrong attribution here.  This poem is by Edna St. Vincent Milay. So sorry for the misinformation. Thanks, reader!

 And what I really love is the beach, too. Although I'm not sure I could love anything called "eel". Have you ever seen one of those? They are something kind of creepy. Kind of cool, but kind of creepy. These are just eel grasses, though, so maybe...My favorite line here is

"The jingle shells that lie and bleach"

That is a fabulous image!


Eel-Grass

No matter what I say,
All that I really love
Is the rain that flattens on the bay,
And the eel-grass in the cove;
The jingle-shells that lie and bleach
At the tide-line, and the trace
Of higher tides along the beach;
Nothing in this place.

Poetry for Young People -- Emily Dickinson Edna St. Vincent Milay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't this by Edna St. Vincent Millay?