Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Wednesday, April 07, 2010

some grown-up books reviewed (finally!)





I am way behind on my reviewing, so I'm going to try and catch up by doing shorter reviews of a bunch of books at once. today, the grown up books, tomorrow the kid books. Here are four grown up books I've read lately.

The Game on Diet by Krista Vernoff and Az Ferguson, The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale, Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani, and Await Your Reply by Michael Chaon.

The Game on Diet
is my current obsession. I'm playing this fitness challenge with 16 friends, and it is a LOT of fun. the focus is on creating good habits, about eating, exercise, sleeping, drinking water and life habits, like trying to stop procrastinating. You eat 5 small meals a day which have to include a carb, a protein, and a fat, and then you also eat veggies twice a day. I am loving it and hoping I'll be more fit when the four weeks ends!

The Actor and the Housewife by Shannon Hale was not my favorite Shanon Hale - I mean how can you beat Princess Academy and Book of a Thousand Days, but it was a fun story to read. Required a bit of suspension of disbelief, but it worked. I laughed and cried both in this book. Good beach read!

Lucia, Lucia is by Adriana Trigiani, an author I saw reviewed by Mrs. Yingling and She Who is Too Fond of Books both (see links to their blogs on the right!). I trust both those ladies, and they were spot on with this author. Great character development and loved the focus on fashion. It was so fun. I've started another by her now. Both on audio.

Await Your Reply is a strange one. It's on the best Books for Young Adults list, but you'd really have to be someone who's willing to persevere to stick with this one! It's a mystery that has three individual stories being told, but somehow the author manages to wrap them all together, and the reader's job is to try and figure out how. I sort of figured out how two of the stories were connected before I finished, but I never would have guessed the other. That's my adult book group choice for this month, so I'll be interested to see how others liked it.

No comments: