Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Almost through the OBOB list

Fifteen down, one to go! These were three I wasn't all that keen on for some reason, but they were all quite good. Airman was the biggest surprise. I didn't love it, but I certainly didn't hate it as I expected to from JUDGING A BOOK BY THE COVER. Yes, once again, I did it. Instead of it begin some sort of fantasy thing, though, it turned out to be a good adventure story with some serious suspense and intrigue. And a little sci-fi thrown in. Checked out the audiobook from Multnomah County and adored the Irish accent on the reader.

Elsewhere was a bit odd, but it was pretty good. Not so many stories are told from the other side of life (by a dead person I mean). I listened to this one as well. I think this was a very challenging idea, and Gabrielle Zevin did a good job of putting it together without making it seem too hokey. I thought the portrayal of Liz was especially well done, as what fifteen year old wouldn't be pretty irritated that she was now dead and wasn't going to get to do things like get her driver's license or graduate from high school?

Of these three, I think First Light was the one that I thought would be the most different from what it was. Reminded me a lot of city of Ember, for obvious reasons if you've read both. I thought it was interesting how this author brought the people of light and the people of ice together. I didn't predict that until close to the end of the story. I'm wondering if there will be a sequel, as it seems ripe for one.

One last OBOB to go - know which one it is?

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

Elsewhere was one that all three of my children picked up. It was oddly intriguing. Not a constant circulator, but one that gets out every month or so. I also liked this author's Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac.