Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Ten grown up books

Just some quick little observations on the grown up books I've read of late. Post me a comment if you want more info on any of the books.

The Truth About Dating. Funny, but it took me until about half way through to realize it was non-fiction. I did read it on my Kindle, so some of my usual cues were not available.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest Loved, loved, loved this series, especially the super smart main female character. The violence was not nearly as graphic as I thought it would be, so I wasn't too bothered by it. It might be too much in the movie form, though. Also loved reading about Scandinavia. Made me want to go there again!

Russian Winter Great story that moved seamlessly from present to past and back again. I am intrigued by the ballet, although I have not a balletic bone in my body (if balletic is a word, which I highly doubt). Thought the ending was a little too neat, but overall I really enjoyed it.

Nice Girls Do Fluffy romance book which I don't really recommend. Not enough to the story to hold my interest.

The Great Gatsby A literary classic which we read for book group. I'm still sort of wondering if we can't find a better book to teach in high school - I just can't think many kids would relate to this story.

The Night Season My favorite Chelsea Cain book so far. And yes, she did come to our book club because she's the coolest author in Portland! Plus we had adult beverages.


I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced The story is intriguing, the re-telling is not so much. It's frightening to think that ten year olds are still being married off to anyone, let alone much older men. Yick, yuck, yick.

Belong to Me Listened to this on audio. again, thought it came together a little too neatly, but I did enjoy it.

No comments: