Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Being Nikki - Meg Cabot

Time to catch up on my blogging. I get super busy with school stuff at the end of the year, so I have been neglecting my blogging. well no more! Today is the day I vow to catch up. hang on to your hats, kiddies, cuz here we go!

I am a HUGE Meg Cabot fan, but I have to say I didn't adore Airhead, the first book in this series as much as I have loved most of Meg's other books. I liked it, though, and I was definitely sucked in enough to want to know what happened next, so you can imagine how excited I was when Meg Cabot said on her blog that if you wanted a review copy, all you had to do was ask. How nice was that? But then she sent it a few weeks before the actual release date and said if we read it early we weren't allowed to blog about it until the official release date! That was kind of brutal. Of course I could have written it and scheduled the post to appear, but I wasn't organized enough. Obviously, since I'm just getting to it now!

Can I tell you that this book was WAAAAY better than the original? Because it was WAAAAY better than the original! That's pretty unusual, I think, for a second book to be better than the first in a series. My theory about this one, though, is that I had to have some time to come to terms with what had happened to Nikki, and it took me a whole book to get to the place where could handle it. Se what happened in book 1 was that Emerson Watts, an average looking but pretty smart girl died, and so did Nikki, a supermodel with shall we say less than the sharpest smarts...But really, only Nikki's brain dies and only Emerson's body died, and then the doctors did a whole body-brain transplant thing. See why it was a little hard for me to believe. I mean, come on. But I guess we might be getting to the point where it could happen. Well, maybe not anytime immediately or anything, but not that far from now. Maybe.

So anyway, Em didn't know any of Nikki's friends or how to be a supermodel or anything, and she didn't really WANT to, either. But she's had no choice. In this installment, Being Nikki, I'd come to terms with the whole transplant thing, so I could just go with it, and it was a pretty exciting story. I do admit I wanted pop Meg Cabot one, though, at the end of the novel. How could she just leave us hanging like that?? WAY unfair!

Recommended.

No comments: