Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Julia's Chocolates - Cathy Lamb


This is a book by the same author who wrote The Last Time I was Me which I really enjoyed. Both of these are adult books. I did not like this book quite as much as the first, however. IT took me too long to get into the story, and also the woman was fleeing a relationship with a man who abused her, and it is difficult for me to read about these things.

I also did not agree with some of the choices this woman made. I could kind of understand where she was coming from, but it was so clear that she was doing the wrong thing, I had a hard time being sympathetic.

There were some things I really did love about this novel, however. One was the library where she worked, and where she befriended two young children who were clearly in need of a friend. Unfortunately, I think there are lots of kids who are not getting the care they need from home, and I am happy that some of them can find solace in libraries (but I'd rather they didn't have to!). I also loved some of the crazy characters in this story, and the powerful relationship she had with her aunt who she's come to live with. And the yummy chocolate references, as always, made me salivate!

If you have to choose to read only one Cathy Lamb book, I'd choose The Last Time I was Me, but this one is also good.

No comments: