Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Models Don't Eat Chocolate Cookies - Erin Dionne

Do you think I wouldn't pick up a book with chocolate cookies all over it AND written by an ERIN?!? Of course I would! And I was not disappointed.

This book is a fairly new one in the WOMS library - I bought it at the last book fair. It's the story of 13 year old Celeste, who is overweight, due in large part to her obsession with chocolate cookies. Sad to say, I can relate to that obsession which is why I NEVER, EVER buy Oreos. (Luckily, I can always count on my sister-in-law Christy to bring them to every family event. One of the many reasons I love her!)

Celeste is having some struggles at school because of her weight - other kids bully and tease her. I know this happens, but still every time I read a book that has something like this in it, I feel uncomfortable. And actually, I think that's a good thing. I hope kids have the same reaction and that it makes them think about things they say or do or watch others say/do without stopping them. The final straw for Celeste is when her aunt submits her application for the Miss Husky Peach modeling contest. It's enough that Celeste is bigger than most girls, but does she need to parade around about it? She's thinking NO WAY, NU-UH, NEVER!

But she can't summon up the courage to say no, and even when she does try to say no her mother isn't listening. So she goes along for the ride, thinking she'll just sabotage her chances instead of telling her mom no. One of her means of sabotage is actually trying to make more healthy choices about eating using her eating journal (yeah, health teachers!)so she can lose twenty pounds.

This novel has a lot of issues wrapped in it that teens are dealing with. Crushes, self-esteem, appearance, friends, bullying...and although it's an ambitious pile of issues, Ms. Dionne does a great job pulling it all together. I think I'm gong to suggest this one to our mother-daughter book club. Lots to talk about!

If you'd like to read more about this author, click here.

Available at the WOMS library and the Multnomah County Library.

No comments: