Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Cracked Up to Be - Courtney Summers

This book is much more appropriate for high school than for middle school, but I really enjoyed the intensity of this book. Actually, I'm not sure enjoyed is the right word. I was drawn in by this book, but it didn't give me any kind of warm happy feeling. In fact, it was kind of distressing. It is a bit of a psychological thriller/mystery kind of story.

High school senior Parker Fadley (a girl) used to be a pretty all American girl - cheerleader, popular, good grades, etc. Now, she's none of those. She's failing classes, coming to school drunk, she even tried to commit suicide. But no one except Parker really knows why. Readers discover things bit by bit via flashbacks, which will work fine for some readers but will be disconcerting to others.

This book reminded me of Speak, Just Listen and Wintergirls.

Available at the Multnomah County Library. Recommended for high school readers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow!!! this looks like a really good book mrs.f-B!!!!