Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Friday, March 26, 2010

Poetry Friday - Malheur Before Dawn

Doesn't reading this poem just make you calm? It does me. Perhaps I should tape it in front of my desk so I can see it at any time. Enjoy!


Malheur Before Dawn
By William Stafford

An owl sound wandered along the road with me.
I didn’t hear it -- I breathed it into my ears.

Little ones at first, the stars retired, leaving
Polished little circles on the sky for awhile.

Then the sun began to shout from below the horizon.
Throngs of birds campaigned, their music a tent of sound.

From across a pond, out of the mist,
One drake made a V and said its name.

Some vast animal of air began to rouse
From the reeds and lean outward.

Frogs discovered their national anthem again.
I didn’t know a ditch could hold so much joy.

So magic a time it was that I was both brave and afraid.
Some day like this might save the world

No comments: