Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, January 19, 2009

Paper Towns - John Green


Remember I told you I was trying to read some of the books that might just win awards this year? Well, there's been quite a bit of buzz about this one - many people think John Green is going for the three-peat with this one - a third Printz win/honorable mention. And I wouldn't be surprised. It's fabulous.

I often laugh out loud when reading books, and I often cry when reading books, but I really don't remember a time when I was laughing so hard that I was crying for the entire first chapter of a book. My husband was looking at me like I'd gone off the deep end, and then even he started laughing, just watching me laughing. I tried reading some of it out loud to him, but I couldn't even get through two words at a time because I was just laughing hysterically. John Green is seriously funny. But he can also be seriously serious, and this book has its share of serious parts too, after Margo leaves town and no one knows where to find her. Quentin "Q" Jacobsen, her neighbor and classmates has some clues which he tries to follow but he doesn't get too far, and sometimes he's not even sure whether he should be trying to follow her. But he has to follow his heart.

I love that John Green has awesomely developed male main characters because there just aren't enough of those in YA literature still - even though more and more are coming. Yeah, authors! This book is another amazing piece from John Green and I'll wait anxiously to see if he wins another award with it!

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

It's official-- I'm the only one who didn't love this book. Well, my daughter didn't like it, either. I'll still keep reading Green's new works, but he is not one of my favorites.