Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Possibilities of Sainthood - Donna Freitas

Loved, loved, loved this book. Having gone to Catholic schools for 16 years, and having read more than one "Lives of the Saints" books myself (Saint Therese and the Roses by Homan, published in 1955 being my very favorite) this book resonated with me in many ways - not that I ever had a PRAYER of becoming a saint myself, mind you.

Antonia Labella, the main character in this novel is determined to become the first living Catholic saint. And she's not just pining away wishing for it, either. This girl's got a plan, including saints journals and a vigorous writing campaign with a new petition to the Vatican (perferably to the Pope himself if he's available) each month proposing a new idea and offering herself as the model candidate.

Antonia is a very funny young woman with so many great ideas and possibilities. What she doesn't have is the sense God gave her in the boy department. I mean, hello, Antonia. Open your eyes once, girl. Saints be praised, there's resolution in that department finally, too, but it's a long time coming.

This book, by ckass of 2K8 first time novelist Donna Freitas was a delightful read which I highly enjoyed.

Available at the Multnomah County Library.

No comments: