Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Bollywood Babes - Narinder Dhami

I read another book about these three crazy sisters earlier in the year (actually, I think I listened to it) and there are a few things I really like about these books. I really like how the girls are actually like real sisters. They're bratty and fight sometimes, and then they're best friends and comrades at other times. Having grown up with a sister myself, I know it's true. Luckily once you're older, it's mostly friends :)! Another thing I really like is that these girls live a pretty regular life. They're average girls. Also, while they like boys, there are no complicated relationships between girls and boys in these books. this s a good thing because while some readers really enjoy romance, not everyone does, and it's nice to have some titles to recommend which don't. And of course, I love that the main characters are Indian, although I wonder how Indian people feel about the portrayal of Indians in this book. Is it accurate or stereotypical? An interesting question that I don't know the answer to. If you do, let me know.

This storyline revolves around the girls trying to raise money for their school by bringing a formerly famous Bollywood star to their school fete. However, when the washed-up has-been actress they find moves in with them, they begin to reconsider their decision. And they begin to do some serious finger pointing! It is not a pretty picture for the girls, but it's humorous for the reader.

I enjoyed this book more than the first, actually, which doesn't happen that often, so that was a nice find. Available at the Multnomah County Library.

No comments: