Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

I Love You, Beth Cooper - Larry Doyle

This book, while completely inappropriate for a middle school library, is really quite hilarious. I'm not sure where I saw it, but something I read about it made me think it would be good, and I was not wrong. I haven't laughed out loud so much since I read John Green's Paper Towns. The main character in this story, class valedictorian and consummate nerd, decides to go for broke and announces to the orld during his speech at graduation that he loves Beth Cooper, most popular girl, head cheerleader, basically a girl who'd never be in love with him. Any yet, somehow that night, they end up partying together (along with one of his friends and two of hers) and running for their lives from her Marine boyfriend. The things they do are way beyond belief, and when this comes out in a movie pretty soon here, I think it might be completely stupid, but in a book, it was really very funny.

The one thing I never figured out was whether this book was adapted from a screenplay into a novel or whether the novel was adapted into a screenplay. If you know, give me a shout.

No comments: