Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Sunday, May 17, 2009

TheHistory of Love - Nicole Krauss

This was my grown up book club book this month, and I really did not enjoy it. I felt kind of lost through most of the story. It was told from a lot of different points of view, and even when I was listening and there were different voices, it felt really jumpy to me. It did all wind together at the end, but even then the conclusion was pretty ambiguous. As I've said before, I don't mind thinking when I'm reading a book, but I don't want to be confused by the storyline. That's hat happened to me here. My only consolation is that it's what happened to my friend as well.

The one thing I really did like about this book was the lyricism of some of the writing. There were passages I just wanted to write down because they were so beautiful. Unfortunately, they were overshadowed for me by the disjointedness of the story.

I'll be interested to see what the rest of the group thinks. I wanted to like it, I really did, but I just couldn't.

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

A grown up book! I'm impressed. I think it's good for the students to know that sometimes even we have to force ourselves to finish a book we don't care for. Good for you that you didn't just quit reading.