Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, April 06, 2009

6th Grade Entry - Eagle Strike

6th graders at WOMS have been invited to post guest entries on my blog for YA books they’ve recently read. This is Nate’s entry. Thanks, Nate!

Eagle Strike
Anthony Horowitz
Philomel Books, 257p.

Alex Rider, teen spy, sees Yassen Gregorovich, an enemy from earlier on, and wonders, “What is he doing here”. So Alex knows something is not right. He follows Yassen Gregorovich and finds him talking on his phone to a guy named Damian Cray. While Yassen is talking to Damian on the phone, Alex realizes that from what he has heard on the phone, Damian Cray is a criminal. Alex Rider gets in contact with the MI6 Special Operations, a spy agency that he works for, about Damian Cray. Later, on he realizes that Damian Cray is a former pop idol and a billionaire that everyone adores. Everyone believes Damian Cray is a good person because he donates millions of dollars to charities and does good stuff for people, but Alex Rider and the MI6 Special Operations are the only ones that believe he is a criminal. In fact, Alex’s best friend doesn’t even believe that Damian Cray is a criminal. Alex Rider has to keep in touch with the MI6 Special Operations, about Damian Cray. Alex Rider must survive a bullfight, a high speed chase through Amsterdam on a bicycle, and even being the target in a human video game, Game Slayer. When Alex Rider figures out about Cray’s plan called “Eagle Strike,” he realizes that he has to save a lot of people’s lives. Alex Rider knows he has to face a big problem. Will Alex Rider stop Eagle Strike or will Eagle Strike go on and happen?
Alex Rider is the main character in Eagle Strike. He is a teenage boy and is fourteen years old. Alex Rider is a spy that works for MI6 Special Operations, a spy agency. Alex never gives up until he completes the missions MI6 gives him. Alex lives with his housekeeper, also his best friend, Jack Starbright. I feel bad for Alex because all he’s really got is Jack Starbright. If Alex thinks there is someone up to no good, he will follow them and figure out what their problem is or if they’re criminals. So basically, he sometimes starts his own missions instead of the MI6 giving him one.

I liked that when I read Eagle Strike, it painted a picture in my head of the setting and characters. That was important because in my head, I saw characters I have never seen before and a place I have never been to. I also, liked how there was a lot of suspense in Eagle Strike because I wanted to keep on reading it and never stopping. In Eagle Strike, I liked how there was a lot of action because I like to watch people fight. I was excited when Alex Rider was trying to survive a bull fight and a high speed chase through Amsterdam on a bicycle. I was especially excited when Alex Rider tried to survive being the target in a human video game because there was a lot of action when those things happened.
I would recommend this to anyone who likes action in a book. I would also, recommend this to anyone that likes a book so much, they never want to stop reading it. If you like other books written by Anthony Horowitz, this is the book for you. If you like James Bond this is also a book for you because Alex and James Bond are both spies. Finally, I would recommend this to anyone who likes a picture painted in their mind while they’re reading.
Submitted by Nate C.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

M16 doesn't believe Alex that Cray is a criminal.