Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, April 13, 2009

6th Grade Entry - Tunnels

6th graders at WOMS have been invited to post guest entries on my blog for YA books they’ve recently read. This is Aaron’s entry. Thanks, Aaron!

Tunnels
Gordon Roderick and Brian Williams

New York: Chicken House/Scholastic, 2008 472p.


Will Burrows is a fourteen year old boy who lives with his sister Rebecca, his mom and his dad in London. Will and his father share a special passion to dig tunnels and search for archaeological artifacts. Will and his father discover an abandoned railway buried beneath the earth and are excited at the thought of a major discovery. Then Will’s father disappears!!! Will and his friend Chester set out to search for Will’s dad. They find themselves in an underground world where danger lurks around every corner. Will learns a secret that may cost him his life.
Will Burrows is a fourteen year old boy. He has a pale face and is sunburned easily. He spends his spare time digging underground tunnels with his father and his friend Chester. Unfortunately the book does not describe Will in much detail. I liked the story line and the emotions that you felt while reading this book. It had adventure, suspense, sorrow, and humor. At first it gave me the desire to dig tunnels myself but as I read further into the book the desire grew weaker and weaker. I would not want to possibly stumble upon an underground city like Will encountered. I would recommend anyone who enjoyed Harry Potter, City of Ember or fantasy books to read this book. I also think that boys would enjoy this book more than girls, no offense. It does have a high lexile of 990 which did make it difficult reading but its good practice. Submitted by Aaron N.

No comments: