Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

6th grade Entry - Elephant Run

6th graders at WOMS have been invited to post guest entries on my blog for YA books they’ve recently read. This is Brianna’s entry. Thanks, Brianna!

Elephant Run
Roland Smith

Scholastic Inc.
318p

When Nick Freestone’s apartment is destroyed, his mother thinks he will be safer living with his father in Burma on the family’s teak plantation. Nick arrives hoping to spend time with his father. Soon the Japanese invade and Nick’s father is taken captive. His father is sent to camp to die, while Nick is forced to work for the new rulers. Nick and his new friend, Mya, are planning an escape determined to save their families.
Nick Freestone is a fourteen-year-old boy with green eyes and brown hair. He is sent to Burma to live with his father. He has never really spent a lot of time with his dad because his parents got a diverse when he was little. I felt bad for Nick when his dad is sent away to a camp to suffer till he died. Sometimes I wonder how he kept working even when he knew his dad was going to die and that they would never see each other again. Maybe thinking that one day he would be free and his dad would be with him working on the plantation with the timber elephants. As a reader, I am glad that Nick and Mya plan an escape because I needed a little hope that they might be free one day. I would recommend this book to people who love reading about adventure, history, and elephants. I am a big fan of history so this book gave me some good facts about World War 2. This book also taught me a lot about what Burma was like and what timber elephants were. Submitted By Brianna M

No comments: