Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, April 13, 2009

6th Grade Entry - I Walk in Dread

6th graders at WOMS have been invited to post guest entries on my blog for YA books they’ve recently read. This is Ellie’s entry. Thanks, Ellie!

I Walk in Dread Mary Pope Osborne Scholastics Inc. 182 pg (epilogue: 185 pg) When the word “witches” is heard, people think of green woman with a sharp hat and a lengthy nose, but in Salem town around 1692 thoughts were much worse. In the book I Walk in Dread, Deliverance Trembly, a 12-year girl, documents her moments through the Salem Witch Trials. She talks about going to the meeting house and watching Ann Putnam, Abigail Williams, and Elizabeth Parris, bawl in terror and confess that maids of the devil would pinch and jab them. During this time more and more people become afflicted and more and more people become accused. Deliverance prays that the horrifying graphics would be absent out of her mind. With nowhere to turn, Deliverance goes to Goody Corey to talk, read, and share bible studies. Goody Corey explains she does not consider the thought of witches, that is until Goodwife Corey is accused herself! Who hasn’t gone mad in Salem? Her sister, Mem, does not show any emotion for the death their uncle but emotions for her crush, Mr. Cooper. So her brother, Benjamin Trembly, the strikingly beautiful bachelor comes to help. But Liv’ (Deliverance) can’t take it anymore. So she expresses her feelings and tells her sister and brother that witches are nonsense. But surprisingly she is not alone! A woman who is the head of the household is the description of a Goodwife. But Goodwife Corey gives it a much bigger definition. Martha (Corey) is a religious, altruistic, lady. She stands her grounds and cares for the smallest of the feeble. She becomes like a mother to Deliverance when the times get rough. Goody Corey would read Liv,’ Mrs. Rowlandson, and they would share bible studies. But the most significant detail is she would do is talk with Liv’ about the problems in her life. She was vital part of Deliverance’s whole life. This is a staggering book. It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I adore historic fiction so this was grand story to read. I can relate to the main character because we are the same age, yet because we are from different time periods I learned a great deal about the witch trials of 1692. I am fond of the description that Mary Pope Osborne uses to describe the four afflicted girls. Explaining how they would shriek and writhe around on the floor. I love this book. I recommend this book for boys and girls who like historic books or are very interested in the Salem Witch Trials. As for gender, really anyone can read it. But girls will probably relate to it better. I am sure everybody who reads I Walk in Dread will fall in love with this tremendous book! ELLIE L.

No comments: