Hi, I'm Mrs. F-B!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Braless in Wonderland - Debbie Reed Fischer

The title of this book makes it sound WAY more racy than it is, and it has me wondering why the editor, publisher, author, whomever felt the need to name this book in this way. Not to mention the GIANT font for the word Braless on the cover. Clearly sexy sells, just watch television for fifteen minutes, but can authors and publishers of quality books not just sell them based on the fact that they are actually writing quality? And doesn't using this sort of gimmick cheapen the whole endeavor?

I actually thought this was a good story with a main character who tries to remain true to her values and admits that some of the ways she's approached life might not be as great as she thought they were. I also think that a story about a regular girl who suddenly becomes a supermodel is going to appeal to a lot of girls. But I probably also will not buy it for my library simply because of the title. I think that's too bad.

If you're a librarian or an author I'd like to hear what you think of this issue.

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

My comment about books like Whytock's My Cup Runneth Over or Dent's LBD is always "If it's got underwear on the cover, it's got to be really, really good before I buy it." The title of this one alone makes it sound like something middle school students don't need to read. Unless it's completely fabulous, I'd pass, especially since there are soooo many books about celebrity kids out now.